Friday, January 28, 2011

Ariana Franklin: R.I.P.

Sad news.

The BBC reports that Ariana Franklin, author of the historical mystery Mistress of the Art of Death, has died at the age of 77.  Franklin won the Ellis Peters Historical Dagger for Mistress of the Art of Death from the CWA. She also wrote The Serpent's Tale, Grave Goods and The Murderous Possession in this series.

Under the name Diana Norman she wrote several historical novels.

She has been seriously ill and spent time in the hospital. Very sad.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm sad to hear this. I've loved her books. Too soon.

Esri Rose said...

My family had just discovered her, and were blown away by how good a writer she was. What a loss.

G.M. Malliet said...

This is such a loss. To have no more of those wonderful books!

Priscilla said...

I was very sad to hear this news. She gave an interesting and fresh perspective on her era. She will be missed by her family of fans as well.

vallerose said...

I had no idea she was in her 70s. So sad. I was hoping this would be a happier year. so far it's failing.

Anonymous said...

I'm heartbroken to hear about her passing. She was a wonderful writer! I loved her Mistress of the Art of Death series but she also wrote a wonderful book about the period in Germany between the end of WWI and the rise of Hitler called City of Shadows. I don't hear about it much but I highly recommend it.

I'm going to miss her....

Gaynel

Ricki Treleaven said...

I am so sad. The Mistress of the Art of Death series is one of my favorites. She will certainly be missed.