Saturday, September 21, 2013

ROBERT BARNARD: R.I.P.

Such sad news. I just learned of the death of Robert Barnard, one of my favorite writers and someone I met several times over the years at Bouchercon,  Malice Domestic, and CWA meetings. Bob hasn't been at Bouchercon in recent years, and he's been missed. As I write this, I'm at Bouchercon, surrounded by mystery writers.. and so very sad that Bob is not here and won't be again.

Robert Barnard attended Oxford and studied history before changing his focus to English. He worked for five years as a lecturer in English in Australia. Then he moved to Norway where he remained for many years as a professor of English, as well as writing mysteries. In 1983, he gave up his academic life and devoted himself full-time to writing. Lucky for us in the mystery world.

He won multiple awards over the years including the CWA Cartier Diamond Dagger. He was given the Malice Domestic Award for Lifetime Achievement. An 8-time Edgar nominee, he won the Nero Wolfe Award, the Agatha, and the Macavity. He was also an expert on the Bronte family and their writing, a passionate opera fan, and the author of a major study of Agatha Chrities' crime writing, A Talent to Deceive.

Robert Barnard has produced a number of standalone mysteries, as well as two series.

Here's a toast to you, Bob. I'll be rereading all your novels over the next year..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the lovely tribute. I am devastated to read this. My family loves his very funny short story, Blown Up, so much that one of us actually reads it aloud each Christmas when we are together. I own most of his books and will join you in re-reading them over the coming months. Thank you, Robert Barnard, for all the joy you brought to your readers.

Elaine Vies said...

Robert will be much missed by fans and friends. A good man and a good writer.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for letting us know about his passing. His books gave me many pleasurable hours of reading. I was saddened to learn of his passing, and shocked that it was not more widely reported.

Icewineanne (lakebotany@hotmail.ca)